Sunday, March 10, 2013

8-4 GTC Gruul Win

I was surprised to win this one, and 6-0 to boot.  I didn't have any bombs except Gruul Ragebeast, which I cast exactly once.  I did have 2 six drops, in Ruination Wurms, which were far better.

P1P1 I went with Crocanura for signalling purposes (too much Boros in that pack) and because I felt it left me the most open.  Tough call though, in a low-power pack.  P1P2 led me to Gruul, which unfortunately was not really open the entire draft.  Orzhov, possibly the best guild overall, was open, which was scary.

However, from my experience after playing 20 or so GTC drafts on MTGO, Orzhov seems to do really well, and Gruul is one of its worst matchups I feel.  That's because Gruul can really deal massive amounts of damage per turn, even with its commons, and Orzhov's extort really can't keep up with it.  If Orzhov doesn't get the nuts in terms of hard removal, then it faces a real challenge trying to race Swines and Ruination Wurms with its Basilica Screecher.

R1 was the feared Orzhov deck.  It had infinite Basilica Screechers and Syndics of Tithes, which made sense based on how open Orzhov looked this entire draft.  I basically overran him with fatties, though, partially because he was mana screwed or flooded both games.

R2 was a mirror match against a Gruul splashing white.  I managed to outrace him, in large part due to my 2 excellent and growing Crocanura's.

R3 was against a Dimir/Orzhov deck.  Like I said before, even though I had no fliers or evasion and he had plenty, it's just hard to deal with a 7/6 monster on turn 6 unless you as an Esper player have exactly Grisly Spectacle or Angelic Edict. So I beat him quite handily.

My first win as a mono Gruul drafter.  Not bad, considering I've collected 3 Domri Rades already and failed to win any drafts with them in the past :)

 Pack 1 pick 1:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 2:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 3:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 4:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 5:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 6:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 1:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 2:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 3:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 4:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 5:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 6:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 1:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 2:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 3:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 4:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 5:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 6:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 15:

  My Pick:


This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!

No comments:

Post a Comment